Upward Bound is a US Department of Education funded grant, designed to increase the academic skills and motivational levels of low-income and/or first-generation college students to the extent that they will complete high school and successfully enter a post-secondary educational program and graduate. We are funded through August 2027.
Mission: Upward Bound will transform the lives of first-generation and/or low-income high school students through educational opportunities which enables the achievement of a future post-secondary degree.
Vision: Developing thriving future generations who value increased knowledge and the impact of higher education.
More about Upward Bound
A minimum of 69 students are served each program year. We serve 6 high schools in Yuma and La Paz Counties. Cibola, Gila Ridge, Kofa, Parker, San Luis and Yuma
- Academic year program offers academic instruction, tutoring, academic advisement, preparation in college entrance exams, counseling, social and personal development (through Saturday meetings)
- Summer residential program offers a college simulation experience for high school students and bridge experience for high school graduates.
- Assistance with college selection, admissions, housing, entrance exams, and financial aid. Post-secondary support is also provided.
- Cultural, social, and recreational activities designed to foster growth and broaden student awareness, appreciation, and respect for each other.
- Student advocacy at various post-secondary institutions, scholarship programs and internships.
To be eligible, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Be a "potential first-generation college student" (that is, parents do not have a four year college degree) AND/OR
- Classified as low-income (as defined by Federal Government) AND
- Have completed the 8th grade but not yet entered the 11th grade at time of admission to Upward Bound.
- Have a need for academic support.
- Attending one of the following "target" schools:
- Cibola High School
- Gila Ridge High School
- Kofa High School
- Parker High School
- Yuma High School
- San Luis High School
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for Upward Bound, submit an application.
Once the application is received, you will be contacted by an Academic Success Advisor to request the documentation that is needed.
The Academic Success Advisor will interview you and explain the program requirements and responsibilities. The interview follow-up form will be provided and needs to be filled out and signed by both the student and a parent/guardian.
You will be notified of your acceptance into the program shortly after.