Financial Aid

Get the Help You Need.

Our goal in the AWC Financial Aid Office is to attempt to meet the full need of all eligible students by packaging (combining) funds from various sources, including institutional and non-institutional funds.


If you need assistance with your financial aid application, please use our online booking form to schedule a Zoom or In-Person appointment.


Walk-ins Welcome

End of March AWC priority deadline to complete FAFSA for upcoming school year.
End of April AWC priority deadline for submission of requested documents after FAFSA submission.
June 30 FAFSA processing ends for 2023-2024 school year.
June 11 Fall 2024 payment is due.
July 1 2024-2025 school year begins.
July 1-November 15  Special Circumstance form and process available. 
October 1 Upcoming school year FAFSA application goes live.
Change of Major Allowed only during add/drop period of your first class of the semester. 
Loans See loan FAQS for important loan dates.
Disbursement See Disbursement for important disbursement dates.
Academic Calendar See Academic Calendar for additional important dates.

Application Process

Select from the following sections below to learn more.

Anyone interested in attending college should apply for the FAFSA. This application may also be required in order to receive other monies, such as institutional funds - including athletic aid, fine arts scholarships, honors awards, etc. - as well as work-study, student loans and other grants. There is no charge to apply for federal financial aid. The word 'FAFSA' actually means Free Application for Federal Student Aid. If you have come across a website that requires payment for assistance or submission, DO NOT PAY!

Arizona Western College is eligible and active in the Federal Pell Grant program; however, the Pell grant may be used at almost any school the student chooses to attend. Financial aid personnel at each institution has information as to whether the college and its programs are eligible for the Federal Pell Grant Program.


Apply for AWC Admission

Before beginning the FAFSA, students interested in attending AWC must apply for admission.


Complete the FAFSA

Students, parents, and borrowers are advised to establish an FSA ID. The FSA ID is a username and password combination that serves as a student’s or parent’s identifier to allow access to personal information in various U.S. Department of Education systems and acts as a digital signature on some online forms such as the FAFSA.

Complete the FAFSA online and be sure to include AWC's school code: 001071. To gain a better understanding of what the FAFSA entails and what information to include when actually applying, visit FAFSA Help. Most high schools, colleges, vocational schools, libraries and community or state agencies will no longer have paper applications available but if applying online is intimidating, a printable version is available for download.


After FAFSA Submission

After an electronic FAFSA submission is processed by the Department of Education, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR), either by email or mail, from the Department of Education. (This NOT an award — you are not done yet.). Provided that you have gone through the admissions process at our school, it will take at least 3-5 business days before your FAFSA is linked to your record on the AWC Financial Aid database. Once received, The Financial Aid Office will use the information to determine if any further paperwork is necessary.  Students are encouraged to review their AWC financial aid status through the AWC Self-Service site.

Verification: Some FAFSA results require the school to verify certain information. In those cases, notifications informing you of any required documents will be posted to your student Self-Service account by AWC Financial Aid office. Students are responsible for checking their student accounts regularly for any requirements needed to complete their file. Students with further questions or requiring clarification are encouraged to contact the Financial Aid Office. If corrections are required, the Financial Aid Office will submit them electronically or ask the student to make the corrections online. Expect processing to be delayed by several weeks. All items reported on the FAFSA are verifiable. Financial aid may ask for additional documents throughout the academic year.

Arizona Western College participates in the Title IV Direct Lending Program under the Arizona Student Loan Code of Conduct offering Federal Direct Stafford Student Loans, either subsidized or unsubsidized, to eligible students. Students and parents who enter into an agreement regarding a Title IV loan must be reported to the National Student Loan Data System.

Loan Repayment Resources

Cohort Default Rate

The Cohort Default Rate is defined as the percentage of a college’s student borrowers who enter repayment on Federal Direct Loans during a specific fiscal year and default on those loans within the cohort default period.  It is calculated annually by the U.S. Department of Education.  The cohort default period refers to the three-year period that begins on October 1 of a fiscal year when the borrower enters repayment and ends on September 30 of the second year following the fiscal year in which the borrower entered repayment.  The most recent Cohort Default Rate, released in September 2022, is for borrowers who entered repayment in the 2019 federal fiscal year and defaulted in one of the following federal fiscal years: 2019, 2020, or 2021.

A student defaults on a federal loan after at least 270 days (nine months) of non-payment.  Defaulting on a loan has several serious consequences, including adding significantly to the cost of a loan and ruining the borrower’s credit score.

Arizona Western College: 3.3%
National Average: 2.3%



Apply for AWC Admission and Complete Current Year FAFSA

Students interested in attending AWC must apply for admission and complete a current year FAFSA. View ‘Steps to Apply for FAFSA’ above.


Complete Entrance Counseling

Complete Entrance Counseling. Most loan questions will be answered while completing this exam. Students will not receive any loan funds without satisfactory completion. A score of at least 90% must be obtained.

  • Go to the Department of Education website
  • Under the “Manage My Direct Loan” section click on “Sign In”
  • Once you have signed into the web site you will select “complete Counseling”
  • Choose Loan Counseling Type, select “Entrance Counseling” If the web site says, “You have already completed the Entrance Counseling,” acknowledge the message and complete it again.
  • Select Your School
  • Select Student Type: check I am completing entrance counseling to receive Direct Loans as an undergraduate student
  • Read and complete the quizzes for the following sections:
    1. Understand Your Loans
    2. Manage Your Spending
    3. Plan to Repay
    4. Avoid Default
    5. Make Finances a Priority
  • Submit the entrance counseling

Complete Master Promissory Note

  • Sign into the Department of Education website
  • Select “Complete the Master Promissory Note”
  • Select the Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan type
  • Read and complete the following sections very carefully:
    1. Information
    2. References
    3. Terms & Conditions
    4. Review & Sign

Complete Current Year Loan Request Form

Complete the Loan Request form and submit to the AWC Office of Financial Aid. Please review Student Loan Policy on the ‘Policies’ tab when completing the loan request form. Do not submit this form until registered for at least 6 credit hours. It is the student's responsibility to submit this form along with all required documents and all steps completed before the loan deadline (1 week prior to 2nd half disbursement).

For students that have exhausted all of their Pell and Stafford Loan eligibility, but still require additional funding, there are Parent Plus Direct Loans and Private/Alternative loans as an option. Students and parents should be aware that both types of loans are based on borrower credit.

In order to receive a Parent Plus Loan, students must meet all stated AWC eligibility criteria. BE AWARE - REPAYMENT OF PLUS LOANS BEGINS ON THE DAY AFTER THE FINAL LOAN DISBURSEMENT IS MADE. There are several steps parents are required to complete in order to apply for a Parent Plus Loan:


Apply for Admission

Before the application process can be started, parents wishing to obtain a Parent Plus Loan must apply for admission to AWC. This is to ensure that the database is able to receive funding for the parent on behalf of the student.


Complete Master Promissory Note

This form must be completed by the parent with all relevant parent information. When logging in, the parent FSA ID and Social Security number must be used.



To follow-up on processing status, students should make contact with the Office of Financial Aid 5-7 business days after parents have completed steps 1 and 2.

For students that have exhausted all of their Pell and Stafford Loan eligibility, but still require additional funding, there are Parent Plus Direct Loans and Private/Alternative loans as an option. Students and parents should be aware that both types of loans are based on borrower credit. The steps to receive an Alternative/Private Loan are as follows:


Apply for Admission

Must be admitted as a student.


Complete Current Year FAFSA

Before applying for a loan, please complete a current year FAFSA. View steps on 'Steps to apply for FAFSA' accordion.


Contact the Lender

Initial contact for an Alternative/Private Loan must be made through the lending institution (bank, credit union, etc.)



To follow-up on processing status, students should make contact with the Office of Financial Aid 5-7 business days after completion of step 3. Contact the Lender.


Additional Steps that May be Required

You may be required to complete and submit the Private Education Loan Application Self-Certification form before the Loan Officer can begin to review your request.

All complete files will be awarded eligible funds for the school year based on assumed enrollment of Full-time status and distributed evenly between the Fall and Spring Terms. Disbursement amounts will depend on a student’s actual enrollment level per semester. All financial aid refunds are processed by the disbursement office. Refunds are delivered with BankMobile Disbursements, a technology solution, powered by BMTX, Inc. Visit this link for more information: Refer to the disbursement office for more information on disbursement dates.

Additional Steps that May be Required

Transfering? Visit Transfer Services for transfer process.
Need to file additional forms? Visit our FA Forms section.


If you have any questions, please see our Frequently Asked Questions. You can also use our online booking form to schedule a Zoom or In-Person appointment to receive asistance.


Looking for Student Right to Know information?

Looking for statistical reports that include information on diversity of student enrollment at AWC?

Select from the following sections below to learn more.

The consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112‐74) significantly impacted the Federal Pell Grant Program. Students are now limited to 12 semesters (or 600%) of Federal Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. This change affects all students, regardless of when or where they received their first Federal Pell Grant.

Whether you have used all of your Federal Pell Grant eligibility or only half, be conscious about the lifetime limit of the Federal Pell Grant when changing majors and/or scheduling classes. Once you exhaust your lifetime eligibility limit, you will be ineligible for Pell Grant funds and there is no appeal option.

You can find your Lifetime Eligibility Used for the Federal Pell Grant by visiting the NSLDS website and creating a student account. It is also reported on your Student Aid Report (SAR) each time you complete a FAFSA. The National Student Loan Data System also tracks your lifetime Pell Grants, loan usage and overpayment status. If you have loans, you may also view how much you owe and to whom.

Arizona Western College participates in the Title IV Direct Lending Program under the Arizona Student Loan Code of Conduct offering Federal Direct Stafford Student Loans, either subsidized or unsubsidized, to eligible students. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at AWC is committed to providing post-secondary educational opportunities to all eligible students. However, it is also our intent to set the standards of the Satisfactory Academic Progress policy, assist students in building excellent borrowing habits and educate students in effective loan management. Loan applicants must meet satisfactory academic progress standards.  Students and parents who enter into an agreement regarding a Title IV loan must be reported to the National Student Loan Data System. Because loans require repayment (with interest), we highly recommend that students exhaust all other funding opportunities and utilize loans only as a last resort.

Types of Loans

  • Subsidized: A subsidized direct loan is awarded on the basis of financial need. Interest will not be charged before repayment begins or during authorized periods of deferment. The federal government subsidizes the interest during these periods.
  • Unsubsidized: An unsubsidized direct loan is not awarded on the basis of need. Interest is charged from the time the loan is disbursed until it is paid in full. Students may choose to pay interest while still in school and pay less interest in the long run. If interest is not paid, it is capitalized – that is, the interest is added to the principal balance of the loan(s) and additional interest is then based upon the higher amount. This increases the amount that must be repaid. Interest rates are variable (adjusted annually) but will not exceed 8.25 percent.
  • Direct PLUS Loan: PLUS loans enable parents to borrow to pay the educational expenses of each child who is a dependent undergraduate student enrolled at least half time (six credit hours per semester). PLUS loans are credit contingent. Interest rates are variable (adjusted annually) but by law will not exceed 9 percent. PLUS loan payments begin 60 days after the loan has been disbursed. Both you and a parent must complete the application and promissory note for the federal PLUS loan. All new students must complete an entrance interview before the loan is processed.

First-Time Borrowers: If you are a first-time borrower, you will be required to attend class for 30 days before receiving your loan money. This is Department of Education policy and cannot be waived.

Maximum Annual Loan Amounts

  • Freshman (0-29 credits)
    Dependent: subsidized $3,500 per school year; unsubsidized, $2,000 per school year.
    Independent: subsidized, $3,500 per school year; unsubsidized $6,000 per school year
  • Sophomore (30 or more credits)
    Dependent: subsidized, $4,500 per school year; unsubsidized, $2,000 per school year.
    Independent: subsidized, $4,500 per school year; unsubsidized, $6,000 per school year.

Loan Limits: Students are allowed subsidized loans for 150% of the published time frame for the program of study, if otherwise eligible. If the student is enrolled in a 2-year associate degree program, the maximum period for which a Direct Subsidized Loan is potentially available is 3 years (150% of 2 years = 3 years). Changing programs of study does not restart the clock. Time already used is subtracted from maximum time allowed. Students later seeking a four-year degree must subtract eligibility already used from the 6-year limit, as well. The student who reaches the 150% limitation, whether seeking a certificate, two-year or four-year degree, could continue to receive unsubsidized loans if he or she is otherwise eligible (for example, meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements). The limitation affects those considered to be new borrowers on or after July 1, 2013. New borrowers are students with no outstanding loans. Consequently, the 150% limit would include only periods of borrowing that began on or after July 1, 2013. When a borrower has reached the 150% limitation, his or her eligibility for an interest subsidy also ends for all outstanding subsidized loans, if he/she did not complete the program of study within the 150% time frame and borrows again. At that point, interest on those previously borrowed loans would begin to accrue and would be payable in the same manner as interest on unsubsidized loans.

Cost of attendance is provided to each student with a SAR submission. COA's are based on Full-time, resident, non-resident and WUE, on campus and off campus. Budget will be allocated for current semester to prevent over awarding if the student does not return for the sequential semester (if it falls under the same academic year).

PLUS: If you or your parents are applying for a Parent Plus or Alternative Education loan, you must still be processed for financial aid and complete all required documentation. The maximum amount that can be borrowed is equal to the cost of attendance as determined by AWC for the loan period, minus ALL other grants, scholarships, third party payments, work-study, resident assistant, fee waivers, or any other outside funds.

Transfer Students: Official academic transcripts will be required of all transfer students who display in NSLDS (National Student Loan Database System) that they have attended previous colleges and/or have substantial student loan debt. Transcripts will be evaluated and restricted enrollment enforced when applicable. Students who have not met our requirements for satisfactory academic progress at the prior colleges will be evaluated with the same satisfactory academic progress standards currently in place for AWC students. Students who have consistently received W and F grades will be required appeal.

Loan Counseling: Each student is required to complete entrance loan counseling before receiving their loan(s). A student must also complete a Master Promissory Note. Likewise, before a student withdraws, graduates, or drops below half-time attendance, regulations require completion of exit counseling. Once you receive a Stafford Loan, you will be required to complete an exit interview before you leave school or when you fall below half-time enrollment (6 credit hours).

Loan Adjustments: If you have received a loan and other funding is awarded, which brings you to a negative unmet need, your loan award will be adjusted accordingly. In other words, if you have received $500 in loan and you get a $200 scholarship after the loan has been paid, which brings your unmet need to a negative $200, we need to return $200 from the loan payment. You are not allowed to receive more than the cost of attendance (unmet need).

Interest Rates: The fixed interest rates for Federal Direct Stafford and Plus loans change yearly. The interest rates are based on when the student loans were disbursed. Follow the link for more information or updates to interest rates.

Fees: You may pay up to a 2.5% percent origination fee from each disbursement to Direct Lending. Terms and conditions of Title IV Loans may be more favorable than Private education loans.

Repayment: Repayment begins following a six-month grace period after you graduate, withdraw from school, or drop below half-time enrollment. Students/parents who enter into an agreement regarding a Title IV loan will be reported to the National Student Loan Data System. Guaranty agencies, eligible institutions of higher education also have access to information submitted to the NSLDS. To track your loan information visit AWC has partnered with Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program to provide you with FREE assistance on your Federal student loan obligations to ensure successful loan repayment. We’ve partnered with them to help you explore a wide variety of possibilities such as alternative repayment plans, deferment, consolidation, discharge, forgiveness, and forbearance options.

(Institutional and private scholarships are subject to additional criteria)

  • Must be a US citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Must be a high school graduate or equivalent
  • Males must be registered with Selective Service by their 26th birthday or provide sufficient documentation supporting why they did not register if certain criteria apply. Status Information Letters from the Selective Service are non-appealable. 
  • Enroll for those classes that apply to the declared program of study leading to a degree or certificate.  Classes taken as Credit/No Credit or repeated more than twice are ineligible for Title IV. 
  • Have an assigned Academic Advisor and a specific major program (degree or certificate). Change of major is only allowed during add/drop period of your first class of the semester. 
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress each semester
  • Notify the Financial Aid office of any additional assistance received not shown on the award letter
  • Notify the Financial Aid Office and Business Services when adding or dropping classes or withdrawing from school
  • Repay entire or partial award for classes not attended, dropped, reduced, withdrawn or cancelled
  • Repay any loans as stated within the Promissory Note signed before receipt of a loan
  • Complete loan Entrance and Exit counseling sessions if participating in the Student Loans Program
  • Funds received under all federal and state aid programs must be used solely for expenses related to attendance or continued attendance at AWC.
  • Students are responsible for repayment of the prorated amount of any portion of payments made which cannot reasonably be attributed to meeting educational expenses related to attendance at AWC.
  • The amount of such repayment is to be determined on the basis of criteria set forth by the Secretary of Education.
  • Students owing payment for any financial aid program coordinated by AWC are not eligible to receive funds until payment is made.
  • Students who are scholarship, grant and/or loan recipients and who drop a course or courses during the official add/drop periods, some or all of the aid awarded will be returned to the appropriate program or lender.
  • Specific responsibilities relating to other programs will be provided to the recipient at the time the aid is granted.
  • Meet other requests and requirements not indicated above as established by the Financial Aid Office.

Federal regulations {CFR 668.32(f) and CFR 668.34} require a student to move toward the completion of a degree or certificate within an eligible program when receiving federal student aid. Federal regulations state that Academic Progress Standards must include a review of all periods of enrollment regardless of whether or not aid was received. This policy governs all federal aid programs (Pell, SEOG, Loans, Work study). The student must meet AWC's minimum standards of academic success to maintain eligibility.

  • Minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) 2.0
  • Cumulative Completion Rate of at least 67%
  • Must not exceed maximum number of credits or have completed an Associate's degree.
    • 150% of the credits necessary to complete the degree stated (generally 96 credits).
    • The maximum time frame for completion of a degree or certificate is measured by the total number of credits a student attempts. This includes transfer credits and all semesters of enrollment and applies to each degree or certificate whether or not financial aid was received. All AWC credits will be considered in the calculation; including multiple attempts of a course, all W, F, NS, NC, or letter grade. Once the maximum number of credits is reached or you have received an Associate’s Degree, your Federal Student Aid eligibility ends.

Each student’s progress will be reviewed every semester to determine eligibility for Federal financial aid for the upcoming term. Students will be placed on Satisfactory, Warning/Probation, Unsatisfactory or Excessive credit status at the end of each semester. Unsatisfactory and Excessive credit statuses are both cause for financial aid suspension.  Students are not eligible to receive financial aid while on suspension.

Eligible Statuses

Satisfactory:  GPA and completion rate at minimum of 75% or above and total credits below maximum. 

Warning/Probation: GPA greater than 2.0 and completion rate between 67% and 74% and total credits below maximum.*

Suspension Statuses

Unsatisfactory:  GPA below 2.0 and/or completion rate below 67% and total credits below maximum.

Excessive credit:  GPA and completion rate at minimum standards or above but total credits have exceeded the maximum.

*Students receiving 0 credits due to withdrawing completely from all classes in any one semester, or receiving grades of NS, F or No Credit (NC) will not get a Warning status but be placed directly on Unsatisfactory status.  Term following a Warning status will be subject to review not only of cumulative but also per term completion rate and GPA to ensure it meets AWC minimum  requirement of 75% and 2.0 GPA.  Failure to meet criteria will be cause for suspension.

To obtain the completion percentage, the number of a student's total completed credits will be divided by the number of a student's total attempted credits. Please note: all AWC credits will be considered in the calculation; including multiple attempts in a course, regardless of grade earned (W, F, NS, or letter grade).

Your financial aid will be cancelled upon suspension. Your class schedule must be finalized before the first day of the term. Otherwise, any credit-level changes you make may result in warning or cancellation status.

Students who have been placed on a status causing suspension have the option to appeal but only one appeal approval may be granted during your attendance at Arizona Western College. Extenuating circumstances will be considered.

If you are approved a satisfactory academic progress appeal, in order to maintain your eligibility for federal financial aid during your probationary period, you must continue to complete at least 75% of credits attempted each term along with a GPA of 2.0 or higher per term.  If you are denied a satisfactory academic progress appeal or cannot appeal due to not having an acceptable basis for appeal; your suspension status may transition to satisfactory status only after you raise your cumulative completion rate and GPA to meet the federal minimum standards by successfully completing courses at your own expense. Federal minimum standards of academic success are as follows: Cumulative completion rate of at least 67%, cumulative GPA of at least 2.0, and must not have exceeded maximum timeframe for completion of degree/certificate (150%).  However, denial of an appeal for excessive credits will end further eligibility at AWC and further appeals will not be considered.

For additional information please view our Frequently Asked Questions (Appeal Process tab).

Federal financial aid regulations limit the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive federal financial aid for that course.

Receiving a "W" or an "F" in a Course

  • A student is allowed to repeat the same course and may request to receive federal financial aid (in addition to meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards) until a “D" grade or better is earned for the class.
  • Once the student has achieved a “D" grade or better, a student may repeat the same course a second time and still request to receive federal financial aid.
  • After a “D" grade or better has been earned twice before, the class cannot be factored into federal financial aid enrollment eligibility.
  • This rule applies whether or not a student received federal financial aid in earlier enrollments of the course.

Students who fail to attend class during the Add/Drop period will be reported as a No Show. View the Add/Drop schedule.

Registration will be cancelled and the student is responsible for the tuition charge. If the student received Title IV funds (Pell Grant, student loans, SEOG Grant) and/or other awards, the student award will be adjusted to reflect the actual number of credits he/she is eligible for and have to return all or a portion of the funding.

Withdrawals (Official)

After the designated add/drop period and through the first three quarters of the course, or as specified by the Associate Dean of Enrollment Services or designee, students may withdraw from one or more classes and receive a grade of “W” on their official academic record. Classes lasting less than an entire semester may have a different withdrawal period. Students who withdraw from any AWC course must submit a Withdrawal Form to the Admissions and Registration Office or any AWC off-campus site. The student must provide the “Last Date of Attendance” on the withdrawal form received by the Admissions and Registration Office. The “Last Date of Attendance” and the date the form was received for processing will be recorded for reporting and compliance requirements.

Administrative Withdrawals (Unofficial)

Pursuant to 15-1466.02 ©, on 45th-day class rosters, students who have not formally withdrawn but who have stopped attending a course may be administratively withdrawn by the professor or instructor. A grade of “AW” (administrative withdrawal) and last date of attendance may be issued in these circumstances. The last day to give an AW corresponds with the last day to withdraw from the class (see withdrawals above). Please note: it is the student’s responsibility to properly withdraw from a course to avoid any academic or financial aid penalties. Withdrawing may affect Tuition Assistance (Active Military), Veteran Education Benefits and Financial Aid recipients. For further detail on refund policies, check with the Military & Veteran Services Office and/or Financial Aid.

All students receiving federal financial aid should refer to this policy when withdrawing all classes per semester or have stopped attending courses. This policy governs all federal grant and loan programs (Pell, SEOG, ACG Grant, Stafford Loans), but does not include the Federal Work-Study program.

The Higher Education Amendments of 1998 pertain to the Return of Title IV Federal Financial Aid when a student withdraws completely from school. Title IV funds are awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds that the student was originally scheduled to receive.

In general, the law assumes that a student “earns” approved (verified) federal financial aid award in proportion to the number of days in the term prior to the student’s complete withdrawal. If a student completely withdraws from school during a term, the school must calculate, according to a specific federal formula, the portion of the total scheduled financial assistance that the student has earned and is, therefore, entitled to retain, until the time that the student withdrew or last day attended. This policy governs the earned and unearned portions of the student’s Federal Title IV Financial Aid only. It determines how much, if any, the student and/or the school may need to return. This policy does not affect the student’s charges. The student is responsible for paying any outstanding charges to the school. Withdrawing or not attending does not waive the student's responsibility to pay applicable tuition and fees.

 Return of Funds Calculation

  • The responsibility to repay unearned aid is shared by the institution and student in proportion to the aid each is assumed to possess.
  • During the first 60% of the enrollment period the student “earns” Title IV aid in direct proportion to the length of time he or she remains enrolled.
  • Percentage is calculated by dividing the number of days completed in the term by the number of calendar days in the term.
  • Percentage is applied to the amount of disbursable aid to the student for that period of enrollment.

Order of Return of Title IV Funds

A school must return Title IV funds to the programs from which the student received aid, up to the net amount disbursed from each source:

  • Unsubsidized Direct Stafford Loans
  • Subsidized Direct Stafford loans
  • Federal Perkins loans
  • Federal PLUS loans
  • Direct PLUS loans
  • Federal Pell Grant
  • FSEOG (Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants)
  • Other Title IV assistance

Student Repayment Responsibility

The student is obligated to repay grant overpayments. Upon submission of the withdrawal card, the Financial Aid Disbursement Office will notify the student, in writing, of the amount of overpayment and available payment arrangements. If not paid within 45 days, the US Department of Education will be notified. There is no appeal of these debts as it is based on the amount of aid considered 'earned' by federal calculations.

Adjustments (increases/decreases) are made to your financial aid awards if classes are added or dropped within the add/drop period or when your financial aid disburses. You can find the add/drop dates on the AWC Academic Calendar. If you are not attending your class, you are not entitled to the financial aid. If you withdraw and or fail all your classes, we will calculate what you owe back and charge you per Department of Education Regulations. This is called “Return of Title IV Funds Calculation.”

Students identified by the U.S. Department of Education as having unusual enrollment history must be reviewed by the Financial Aid Office to determine federal aid eligibility. The Financial Aid Office must determine if there were valid reasons for the unusual enrollment history by reviewing enrollment, college transcripts and financial aid history. Additional documentation from the student regarding failure to earn academic credit will be required. The Financial Aid Office must document the approval or denial of continued federal aid eligibility. The decision is final and cannot be appealed to the Department of Education. Students who are identified with unusual enrollment history must also complete the Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose form.

The Tax Reform Act impacts students who receive grant or scholarship assistance. Any amount of gift aid (grants, scholarships, fellowships, stipends, assistantships) may be taxable for the amount in excess of tuition, fees and course-related expenses. Since financial aid is awarded for an academic year, and portions of two academic years fall in a calendar or tax year, it is important for all aid recipients to keep copies of the Notice of Award and Acceptance Agreement and to maintain careful records of all direct educational expenses throughout the year. Any student who has a specific question or concern should contact his/her tax preparer. Financial aid statements (for tax purposes) are mailed or provided through WebAdvisor by the Business Services Office in late January.

Students who are applying for financial aid must understand that federal and state laws, as well as institutional policy, require that all information provided be accurate. If it is not, a student may lose certain rights and benefits, be prosecuted under state and/or federal statutes, and lose financial aid eligibility. It is extremely important, therefore, that students accurately complete all application materials and be prepared to document all of the financial data provided. If the information on the application appears to be fraudulent or misleading, the student will first be contacted by the Financial Aid Office staff for documentation and discussion. If, at any time, it is determined that the possibility of fraud exists, the Director may refer the case to the appropriate college disciplinary officer.

Attempted fraud may include false claims of:

  • independent status
  • claims of citizenship
  • identity
  • income
  • forgery of signatures/certifications
  • similar conduct

These are very serious matters since the case must, in some instances, be referred to the Office of the Inspector General, Region IX, US Dept of Education, for investigation. Referrals may also be made to Arizona Western College Police, US Attorney's Office, or State Attorney General for proper adjudication.

If applicants determine that any information that they provided earlier to the Financial Aid Office is in error, they should take the initiative to correct it so that no misunderstanding can occur regarding the accuracy of information.

Students who are currently enrolled and are completing the FAFSA will be asked: “Have you been convicted for the possession or sale of illegal drugs for an offense that occurred while you were receiving federal student aid?” Students who answer “Yes” will be asked an additional series of questions to determine if the conviction affects their eligibility for federal student aid. Students convicted of a federal or state offense of selling or possessing illegal drugs that occurred while they were receiving federal student aid should still complete and submit the FAFSA to determine if there is aid for which they are still eligible. Students who leave this question blank cannot receive federal financial aid until they respond by making a correction to their FAFSA. A student who has been convicted of possession or sale of illegal drugs loses Title IV eligibility for a period of time specified in the law. The period of ineligibility depends on whether the conviction was for possession or sale of (including conspiring to sell) illegal drugs.

For convictions involving possession, the periods of ineligibility are as follows:

  • One conviction: one year after the date of conviction.
  • Two convictions: two years after the date of the second conviction.
  • Three or more convictions: indefinite from the date of the third conviction

For convictions involving sale, the periods of ineligibility are as follows:

  • One conviction: two years after the date of conviction.
  • Two or more convictions: indefinite from the date of the second conviction.

A federal or state drug conviction can disqualify a student for federal financial aid. Convictions only count if they were for an offense that occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving Title IV aid—they do not count if the offense was not during such a period. Also, a conviction that was reversed, set aside, or removed from the student’s record does not count, nor does one received when the student was a juvenile, unless the student was tried as an adult.

A student may regain eligibility the day after the period of ineligibility ends or when the student successfully completes a qualified drug rehabilitation program. Further drug convictions will make the student ineligible again. A student whose Title IV eligibility has been suspended indefinitely may regain eligibility only by successfully completing a drug rehabilitation program. A student who is under a one- or two-year penalty may regain eligibility before the expiration of the period of ineligibility by successfully completing a drug rehabilitation program. If the student successfully completes an approved drug rehabilitation program, eligibility is regained on the date the student successfully completes the program. It is the student’s responsibility to certify to the school that he/ she has successfully completed the rehabilitation program.

To qualify the student for eligibility, the drug rehabilitation program must include at least two unannounced drug tests, and:

  • have received or be qualified to receive funds directly or indirectly under a Federal, State, or local government program; or
  • be administered or recognized by a Federal, State, or local government agency or court; or
  • have received or be qualified to receive payment directly or indirectly from a Federally- or State-licensed insurance company; or
  • be administered or recognized by a Federally- or State-licensed hospital, health clinic or medical doctor.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (commonly referred to as “FERPA” or the “Buckley Amendment”) has in place policies and procedures to protect the privacy of education records. Arizona Western College complies fully with FERPA regulations. For more information visit AWC’s Student Right to Know section.

Arizona Western College is home to an intercollegiate athletic program. As required by law, the details of Equity in Athletics are available to current and prospective students online.

The work experience received through Arizona Western College’s student employment program enhances student education by providing an enriching work environment while developing essential job skills and beneficial employment habits. The Career and Advisement Services Office currently administers two student employment programs: Federal Work-Study (FWS) and College Payroll (CPR). Interested students should apply through the Jobs for Matadors site. Please note that neither application nor eligibility for these programs guarantees placement.

Federal Work Study

PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM: The Federal Work-Study Program provides on or off-campus part-time employment for eligible students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay their educational expenses. The program encourages work complimentary to the chosen course of study and community service work.

FWS Eligibility:

A student is eligible for FWS only if all of the following are met:

  • The student has financial “need” as determined by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • The student is enrolled at AWC for at least 6 credits per semester and maintains satisfactory academic progress.
  • The student is a US citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • The student has a 2.0 or better cumulative GPA

Awarding FWS:

  • Student must have a completed and verified (if necessary) FAFSA on file. FWS monies will not be awarded without a completed financial aid file.
  • Funds are awarded to students based upon financial need after all Financial Aid requirements have been met.
  • Federal Work-Study is not a grant and a check will not be generated for awarded funds; students must secure a job before receiving any monies.
  • Since FWS earnings are first applied to outstanding school fees as hours are worked, students will receive paychecks only after all school costs are paid.

College Payroll

PURPOSE OF THE PROGRAM: The CPR Program provides on campus part-time employment for students enrolled in at least 6 credits hours at AWC and maintaining satisfactory academic progress. Students are encouraged to work in an area that is complimentary to their program of study.

CPR Eligibility:

A student is eligible for CPR only if all of the following are met:

  • The student has completed an application with the Career Services department
  • The student is enrolled at AWC for at least 6 credits per semester and maintains satisfactory academic progress.
  • The student is hired by an AWC Department which has institutional funds budgeted for CPR employment.

CPR Procedures:

  • Interested students should apply through the Jobs for Matadors site.
  • Career Services will then instruct the student as to any further requirements.
  • Since CPR monies are first applied to outstanding school fees as hours are worked, students will receive paychecks only after all school costs are paid.


Arizona Western College has partnered with Inceptia, a division of National Student Loan Program to provide you with FREE assistance on your Federal student loan obligations to ensure successful loan repayment. Inceptia's friendly customer representatives may reach out to you during your grace period to answer questions you have about your loan obligation and/or repayment options.

They may also contact you if your loan(s) become delinquent. Inceptia is not a collection agency. We’ve partnered with them to help you explore a wide variety of possibilities such as alternative repayment plans, deferment, consolidation, discharge, forgiveness, and forbearance options.

4 Easy Steps Applying for Federal Student Aid!


Apply for Admission to AWC


Submit FAFSA

Create your FSA ID, use school code 001071, submit your FAFSA.



Review your Financial Aid progress using AWC Self Service. Submit any final documentation for verification



Now you are ready for Disbursement and receiving your financial aid!


Have FAFSA Questions?

Benji is a financial aid digital assistant to help students with any questions about the FAFSA. Students can text 602-786-8171 to ask questions or visit