The most important part of the admission process is determining your residency (domicile). Your residency classification will determine the cost of your tuition. It is important to thoroughly read the application and answer the residency questions as accurately as possible to avoid an incorrect residency classification. You will receive notification of your residency classification through your acceptance letter which will be emailed to you after you apply for admission. Please reference the tuition schedule to determine your tuition rate. If you have a unique circumstance or have questions about your residency, call the Admissions & Registration Office at 928-344-7550.

Possible residency assignments are:

In-State – Students who consider Arizona their state of residence and have domiciled in the state for at least one year (requires proof of 12-month residency), OR a student whose parents have been domiciled in this state for at least one year and are entitled to claim the student on state and federal taxes, OR meet other qualifying criteria as outlined in the AWC Catalog.  

Students can also be classified as in-state based on the following (documentation will be required):

Employer Relocation – the student is an employee of an employer who transferred the student to this state for employment purposes, or the student is the spouse of such an employee.

Military – the student is a member of the armed forces and is stationed in this state or is a dependent of a member of the armed forces who is stationed in this state. Students who are honorably discharged from the armed forces are also granted in-state status.

Customs and Border Protection – the student is an employee of Customs and Border Protection.

Tribal Membership – the student is a member AND resident of an Indian tribe recognized by the US Department of the Interior whose reservation land lies wholly or partially in this state.

Colorado River Educational Compact (California) – The Colorado River Educational Compact program is a partnership that allows students from California to attend AWC without paying out-of-state tuition. The student must be an established resident of California and meet AWC’s admission criteria.

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE) – Students who are residents of Alaska, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Guam, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands are eligible for the WUE program and pay 150% of in-state tuition plus fees.

Out of State – If you do not meet any of the other categories AND/OR your residency cannot be determined based on your application for admission, you will be classified as Out of State.