Welcome to Honors
The Arizona Western College Honors Program exists to raise the level of intellectual discourse on campus and promote the value of life-long learning by students, faculty, and staff.
Philosophy & Benefits
The Honors Program helps academically talented and motivated students to expand their intellectual, physical, social, and emotional boundaries through the completion of a challenging, holistic curriculum.
The program encourages students to:
- investigate their subject areas more deeply
- pursue connections among the various academic areas
- seek closer working relationships with faculty
- build a sense of self-confidence by meeting intellectual challenges
- accept the responsibility of leadership on their campus and in their community
The program enriches regular degree programs by offering a special, integrated curriculum for its students.
The Honors Center, located in Rooms 085-088 of the Learning Resources Building, is available for Honors students to use for study, collaboration, and relaxation. Resources include computers, a workspace, a refrigerator, a microwave, snacks, beverages (including coffee), and many other amenities exclusively for Honors students. The Honors Senior Secretary is a source of information and support for Honors students.
Students who earn a degree with Honors designation will be recognized at a special Honors Convocation before the graduation Commencement ceremony. They also will have a notification on their college transcript. College admissions officers and prospective employers are especially impressed with students who have undertaken the challenge of an Honors Program.
The program is built around two basic components:
- Honors Core Courses – the seminar orienting students to the program and to leadership and service opportunities and the colloquium/capstone option, which offers a high-level opportunity for interdisciplinary or independent work
- Honors General Education Courses – special sections of regular AWC classes, available only to Honors students.
There are three levels of commitment students can make to the program’s curriculum:
Honors Liberal Arts
The most-prestigious level of AWC Honors, this option is recommended for students who wish to enter a rigorous program with a classical Honors orientation. Students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete all requirements for the Honors General Studies option (below)
- Demonstrate competency in a second language or complete two courses of foreign language study
Honors General Studies
This option is recommended for transfer-degree students not wishing to study a foreign language. Students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete all coursework for a transfer degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or above
- Complete two one-credit Honors Seminars (HON 180 and HON 181)
- Complete the three-credit Honors colloquium (HON 280) or capstone project (HON 285)
- Earn at least 14 additional Honors credits by completing Honors general education courses
For both the above degree options, AGEC-S students need to complete only 13 additional Honors credits, including a Colloquium or Capstone.
Students who wish to take a few Honors courses, but who do not elect either of the above Honors Program options, may take selected courses for Honors credit. These students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete two Honors Seminars (HON 180 and HON 181)
- Complete the Honors colloquium (HON 280) or capstone project (HON 285)
- Earn at least 7 additional Honors credits by completing Honors general education courses and the Honors Colloquium (HON 280) or Capstone Project (HON 285)
Honors Advising and Admissions
Both prospective and current Honors students should meet regularly with the faculty Honors Director, Professor David Kern, for advisement, completing a statement of interest, and planning their academic success in the Honors Program.
To schedule an appointment with Professor Kern, please click here.
For additional information, please stop by the Honors Program Office, in LR 086 or call us at 928-344-7685
- Address: P.O. Box 929, Yuma, AZ 85366