Welcome to Honors
The Arizona Western College Honors program is designed for highly motivated students, with excellent academic records, who wish to prepare themselves early for future upper division undergraduate work and later for graduate school. It is designed to establish a mindset of excellence, achievement, and accepting academic challenges.
Qualified students must apply for acceptance into the Honors program and once accepted must meet a strict set of guidelines to remain in the program. These requirements include:
- Minimum GPA: Honors students shall maintain semester-by-semester (including winter and summer sessions) a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5. Students failing to meet this requirement will be placed on probationary status for one semester – with one semester to restore their cumulative grade point average status (or be removed from Honors).
- Full Course Load: Honors students shall be enrolled in and complete at least twelve credit hours during fall and spring semesters, regardless of financial aid status. Students failing to meet this requirement will be placed on probationary status for one semester – with one semester to restore their course load status (or be removed from Honors).
- Participation in Honors Program Curriculum: Honors students shall enroll in and complete all required courses within the Honors program curriculum, including HON 180, HON 181, HON 280 (or HON 285), and at least twelve credits from Honors-designated courses. Students failing to meet this requirement may be placed on probationary status for one semester – with one semester to restore their satisfactory progress toward earning an Honors degree (or be removed from Honors).
- Advisement: Honors students shall meet with the Honors director each fall and spring semester for academic advisement. Each student shall, in consultation with the director, select an Honors degree program to pursue, monitor her/his progress toward that degree and academic standing, and select courses for the following term.
Contact the AWC Honors Center
- Address: 2020 South Avenue 8E, Yuma, AZ 85365
- Phone: (928) 344-7685
- Fax: (928) 344-7686
- Email: Honors@azwestern.edu
- Address: P.O. Box 929, Yuma, AZ 85366