Honors Requirements & Application Process
High school applicants (shall meet at least one of the following criteria):
- Ranked within the top 10% of graduating class
- American College Test (ACT) score of at least 30, or Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) score of at least 1400
- An appropriate qualifying score on the AWC Placement Exams: eligibility for ENG 101 (or appropriate reading score) and MAT 121
Continuing AWC student applicants must:
- Complete at least 12 college credit hours, in courses 100-level or above, with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 application for honors program
High School Students and Current AWC Students: Use the application materials below to apply for both the Honors Program and the Honors Scholarship.
Honors Program Application:
- Honors Program Application (fillable)
- Open with Adobe Reader and type all responses.
- Complete personal information sheet.
- Write biographical essay.
- Write essay on your academic and professional goals.
- The Honors Council considers what you say (content), but also how you say it (style). Essays will be scored lower for vague language and grammatical errors.
- You do not need to complete the electronic signature.
- Attach the completed application to an email that confirms your name. Email to: email@example.com
Two Academic Recommendations:
- Send this Excel spreadsheet (or the link to it) to two faculty members or counselors from your most recent school.
- They must email the form from their school email address to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Confirmation of your academic eligibility:
High school students, email us:
- Scanned high school transcript AND
- Scanned ACT or SAT scores (or ask your counselor to insert your score on your transcript) OR
- Class rank clearly indicated on your transcript OR
- AWC Placement Test scores (tap the PRTSCN key, paste the image into Paint, and save).
College students: Most recent college transcript. AWC students, to create a digital file of a WebAdvisor transcript:
- Tap the PRTSCN key
- Paste the image into Paint and save
Attach a PDF or image to email@example.com
Deadlines: Use this application for both the Honors Program and the Honors Scholarship. The deadline for ALL SCHOLARSHIP MATERIALS is Thursday, March 28, 2019, 5:00 pm. All materials must be emailed to Honors@azwestern.edu by then.
***Exceptions to the application requirements may be allowed with the expressed permission of the Honors Director, subject to approval by the Honors Council. In rare circumstances, it is within the purview of the Honors Director to permit students showing extraordinary talent in a particular discipline or area of study to enter the program who otherwise would not meet the admission criteria above. Students who do not meet the published admission requirements, however, will enter the program on a provisional basis for a term of one semester. To remain in the Honors Program beyond that, the student must meet or exceed all Honors Program responsibilities detailed in this Handbook.
Every year Arizona Western College disburses full scholarships to 25 of the up to approximately 75 new and current students in the AWC Honors Program. The deadline for the 2019-2020 AWC Honors Scholarship is Thursday, March 28, at 5 p.m. The application is entirely digital and all materials must be emailed to Honors@azwestern.edu no later than 5 p.m. on March 28 in order to be eligible for the scholarship.
The full scholarship for 2019-2020 will be full tuition $1290 for 15 hours/semester, a $550 book voucher, and a $450 food voucher, for a total of $2290 per semester, or $4580 per year. Students must earn a 3.5+ GPA their first semester in 12+ credit hours in order to keep the scholarship for the second semester. Any credits over 15 hours that a student takes are free.
Again, the application process is entirely online; students must email the following materials to Honors@azwestern.edu by March 28, 5 p.m., to be eligible:
- 2 Excel recommendations
- Transcript (with class rank, for high school students) or other document indicating eligibility, such as ACT/SAT test scores or AWC Placement Test scores