Emergency Medical Services Paramedic
A.A.S. - Occupational Degree
This program is offered for both professionals and community members. Emergency medical classes are available for everything from CPR and first aid to paramedic training. The program offers courses sanctioned by various agencies such as the Arizona Department of Health Services, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, the American Heart Association, and the National Safety Council. Students must maintain 80% or higher in each EMS course specified in the program in order to test for state and national certification. Criminal history self disclosure required.
Graduates will demonstrate (1) basic knowledge in emergency medical services that will prepare them for employment as paramedics and (2) critical thinking skills in AWC’s General Education focus areas.
- Perform peripheral and central venipuncture.
- Perform endotracheal intubation using various methods.
- Perform patient assessment to National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians standards.
- Assess and provide paramedic level care for patients with cardiovascular and respiratory complaints.
- Apply techniques of personal stress management.
- Demonstrate correct EMS patient documentation to local standards.
- Discuss current pre-hospital research issues.
- Interpret and analyze 12 lead electrocardiography, with emphasis on detection of myocardial infarction.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
Fall: First Semester
|EMS 152||Basic Emergency Medical Technician or be EMT certified||12||Program Prerequiste|
|BIO 160||Introduction to Anataomy and Physiology/GE (recommended)||4||GE-Physical/Biological Science|
|PSY 101||Introduction to Psychology/GE (recommended)||3||GE- Social/Behavioral Science|
Spring: Second Semester
|EMS 293||Paramedic Academy 1||15||Major Requirement|
|ENG 100 or ENG 101||Freshman Composition/GE||3||GE- Composition|
|PHI 105||Introduction to Ethics/GE (recommended)||3||GE- Humanities|
Fall: Third Semester
|EMS 294||Paramedic Academy 2||15||Major Requirement|
|ENG 101 or ENG 102||Freshman Composition/GE||3||GE- Composition|
|SPC 215||Public Speaking/GE (recommended)||3||GE- Additional Courses|
Spring: Fourth Semester
|EMS 295||Paramedic Academy 3||15||Major Requirement|
|MAT 105||Mathematics for the Applied Sciences OR approved higher level math||3||GE- Mathematics|
This degree requires additional forms to be submitted.
Check the EMS -EMT / Paramedic program page for any additional information.
Contact Lupe.Fuentes@azwestern.edu with any questions.