Emergency Medical Services Paramedic
CERT - Occupational Certificate
This program is offered for both professionals and community members. Emergency medical classes are available for everything from CPR and first aid to paramedic training. The program offers courses sanctioned by various agencies such as the Arizona Department of Health Services, the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians, the American Heart Association, and the National Safety Council. Students must maintain 80% or higher in each EMS course specified in the program in order to test for state and national certification. Criminal history self disclosure required.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in emergency medical services that will prepare them for employment as paramedics.
- Perform peripheral and central venipuncture.
- Perform endotracheal intubation using various methods.
- Assess and provide paramedic level care for patients with cardiovascular and respiratory complaints.
- Demonstrate competence, written and practical, in pharmacology, medication dose calculations and administration.
- Apply techniques of personal stress management.
- Assess and provide paramedic level care for patients with medical conditions such as: respiratory disorders, cardiac disorders, nervous system disorders, endocrine disorders, acute abdomen, anaphylaxis, toxicological disorders, infectious diseases, environmental disorders, and Geriatric/Gerontologic disorders.
- Apply knowledge of pre-hospital medications in simulated and actual patient care.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
To get started on your personalized Academic Plan, visit the Academic Planning page or schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 10/2022
Fall: First Semester
|EMS 152||Basic Emergency Medical Technician or be EMT certified||12||Program Prerequiste|
Spring: Second Semester
|EMS 293||Paramedic Academy 1||15||Major Requirement|
Fall: Third Semester
|EMS 294||Paramedic Academy 2||15||Major Requirement|
Spring: Fourth Semester
|EMS 295||Paramedic Academy 3||15||Major Requirement|
This degree requires additional forms to be submitted.
Check the EMS -EMT / Paramedic program page for any additional information.
Contact Lupe.Fuentes@azwestern.edu with any questions.