This program is designed to prepare a student for a career in food service. With the advent of cooking television networks and the foodie movement, culinary arts professionals are in demand and top of mind. This profession is challenging and high-energy, with the opportunity for creativity and freedom.
Our certificates and associate degree programs will prepare you to advance in your current career, move into a new job in the workforce, or start your own catering, restaurant or personal chef business. Graduates will learn a wide range of skills and gain industry specific experience in:
- Demonstrate quality food selection and preparation.
- Identify the major hazards, sources and opportunities for contamination in a food service operation.
- Demonstrate methods of cooking including roasting, broiling, grilling, sauteing, frying, braising, stewing.
- Identify and prepare glazes, syrups, fillings, creams, ganache, praline, and other sweet sauces, and frostings.
- Apply the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and Food Pyramid to food choices and demonstrate how to cook and prepare healthy foods on a regular basis.
- Demonstrate basic skills in menu planning.
- Utilize advanced skills in preparation of various types of Cuisine.
- Communicate successfully with the customer on design, production, service, staff, and include a formal quote for catering services and perform basic math needed for food cost controls.