Culinary Arts with a-Focus in Entrepreneurship
CERT - Occupational Certificate
Designed to prepare the student to operate and manage their own catering business by developing skills in creating an effective business plan, conducting market research, determining the target market and developing a marketing strategy as well as developing skills in food preparation and plate and buffet presentation.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in culinary arts and good business practices that will enable them to operate their own catering business.
- Demonstrate fundamental skills in preparing cold soups, salads, dressings, pates, terrines, sausage, cheese and appropriate garnishes.
- List the general characteristics of parasites, molds, yeasts, bacteria, and viruses that commonly cause food contamination.
- Devise various techniques that could be used successfully to merchandise the menus planned.
- Use safety and sanitation rules in food preparation.
- Demonstrate how to read and follow a standard recipe.
- Demonstrate hand tool and equipment operation.
- Explain managing conflict and changes in the workplace.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 09/2019
|CUL 141||Basic Culinary Arts 1||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 143||ServSafe Prep and Exam||2||Major Requirement|
|CUL 146||Saucier & Meat Fabrication||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 147||Baking 1||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 149||Garde Manger 1||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 253||Food and Beverage Management||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 144||Menu Planning||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 259||Field Experience||7||Major Requirement|
|NTR 139||Personal Nutrition or NTR 201Nutrition||3||Major Requirement|
|ENT 100||Introduction to Entrepreneurship||3||Departmental Requirement|
|MGT 250||Personnel Supervision||3||Departmental Requirement|
|ENT 220||Marketing the Entrepreneurial Venture||3||Departmental Requirement|
|ENT 240||Business Plan Development||3||Departmental Requirement|