Culinary Arts Level 1
CERT - Occupational Certificate
To prepare students for an introduction to the culinary arts industry.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in culinary arts that will prepare them to obtain an entry-level position within the field.
- Demonstrate quality food selection and preparation through correct techniques.
- Identify the major hazards, sources and opportunities for contamination in a food service operation.
- Demonstrate methods of cooking including roasting, broiling, grilling, sauteing, frying, braising, stewing.
- Identify and prepare glazes, syrups, fillings, creams, ganache, praline, and other sweet sauces, and frostings.
- Apply the U.S. Dietary Guidelines and Food Pyramid to food choices for themselves and their families
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
To get started on your personalized Academic Plan, visit the Academic Planning page or schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 10/2022
First Semester: Fall
|CUL 141||Basic Culinary Arts 1||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 143||ServSafe Prep and Exam||2||Major Requirement|
|CUL 147||Baking 1||3||Major Requirement|
Second Semester: Spring
|CUL 146||Saucier & Meat Fabrication||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 149||Garde Manger 1||3||Major Requirement|
|CUL 253||Food & Beverage Management||3||Major Requirement|