The mission of the accounting department is to provide accounting students with an industry relevant certificate or degree. The terminal certificate and degree allow students to enter the accounting profession with a sound and relevant accounting education and experience.
The vision of the accounting department is to become a program of accounting increasingly recognized by the community for preparing self-confident, competent graduates able to perform in a business environment.
This degree program is designed for students seeking a two-year vocational degree. ***(Grand Canyon University accepts the AAS—Accounting degree as a transfer degree for the BS—Accounting degree.)*** A variety of accounting along with complementary business and general education courses will guide the student to establish a clearly focused foundation to enter the accounting profession in a wide range of available positions.
Graduates of these programs will successfully complete the following learning outcomes:
- Complete the accounting cycle using assumptions, constraints, and principles in compliance with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Complete accounting activities using computerized accounting software.
- Prepare basic income tax returns.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the requirements of payroll in the accounting industry.
- Describe and report costing concepts for business entities for decision making including budgeting and forecasting.
- Define and identify types of fraud found in business as well as develop methods of detection, investigation, and prevention and internal control.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how government and non-profits record economic activity, prepare budgets, and report financial results.
- Apply business analysis and decision making methods using equity and credit analysis and valuation models.
- Apply accounting concepts learned in the degree/certificate program to real world examples.
The thing I love the most about the program is just the step by step guidance and teaching they provide. I feel the classes are laid out perfectly, and the teachers do a great job not only in the teaching aspect of it, but the passion and the willingness they show.