Detention Officer Training
CERT - Occupational Certificate
This program is an introduction to correctional operations: ethics and professionalism, communication, custody and control, conflict and crisis management, problem solving, officer integrity, hostage survival, riot control measures, defensive tactics, CPR/AED for first responders, medical and mental health issues, and field experience. Applicants must meet program acceptance requirements.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in corrections that will prepare them for an entry-level position within the field.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the basic principles of effective inmate supervision and identify the legal definitions, concepts, and principles to Arizona law enforcement, courts, or correctional settings.
- Demonstrate an understanding of institutional safety and how it relates to the structure and organization of inmate control and supervision, to include assessments of injuries and or illness and appropriate first aid procedures and defensive tactics according to AZ Post standards.
- Demonstrate an understanding of working with special/diverse populations in the correctional setting and the importance of inmate rights and essential services.
- Apply constitutional, statutory, procedural, and case law to real-life correctional situations.
- Demonstrate officer integrity and physical fitness standards.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 10/2022