Gain an understanding of front and back office skills to prepare for direct employment in a medical practice setting. Front office functions include checking patients in & out upon arrival & departure, phone etiquette and scheduling appointments, working in electronic health records. Basics of billing and coding in the office. Back office skills such as recording vital signs, electrocardiograms, laboratory procedures, medication administration, and assisting the healthcare provider in special procedures are included. The laboratory and externship experiences are designed to give the student hands-on application of procedures in a medical office setting. After completing the program, the successful student is eligible to take the National Health Career Association (NHA) exam for Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA).
Apply to Program
- Students must submit a program application to register for required courses.
- Be currently enrolled in or have completed the following prerequisite courses with grade C or higher AHE 101 & ENG 101.
- Have a minimum reading score of 219.
- Eligibility to take Math 142 or higher.
- Have Arizona DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card for Volunteer Health Science Student & Clinical Assistant.
- Hold a Healthcare Provider (BLS Provider) or Professional Rescuer (CPR) certification.
Students must submit a program application (January through May) to register for required major courses.
Applied Associate of Science = 66 total credits
|MDA 119 The Basics of Body Structure and Function||3 Credits|
|MDA 120 Medical Office||2 Credits|
|MDA 121 Medical Technician||3 Credits|
|MDA 239 Medical Assistant Externship 1||10 Credits|
|MDA 240 Medical Assistant Externship 2 A||10 Credits|
All requirements of the certificate program with the addition of the following (see current AWC catalog for AGEC-A specific course listing)
|Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Requirements for Graduation|
|English Composition||6 Credits|
|Arts & Humanities||6 Credits|
|Social & Behavioral Science||6 Credits|
|Physical & Biological Science||8 Credits|
|Any additional GE course||6 Credits|
Students must earn a “C” or better in all courses in the program.