Gain an understanding of front and back-office skills to prepare for direct employment in a medical practice setting. Front office functions include checking patients in & out upon arrival & departure, phone etiquette, and scheduling appointments, working in electronic health records. Basics of billing and coding in the office. Back office skills such as recording vital signs, electrocardiograms, laboratory procedures, medication administration, and assisting the healthcare provider in special procedures are included. The laboratory and externship experiences are designed to give the student hands-on application of procedures in a medical office setting. After completing the program, the successful student is eligible to take the National Health Career Association (NHA) exam for Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA).
Apply to Program (updated requirements are listed below)
- Students must submit a program application to register for required courses.
- Have completed the prerequisite course, ENG 100 or higher, with a letter grade C or higher.
- Be currently enrolled in (by the time a student starts the program) or have completed the co-requisite course, AHE 101, with a letter grade C or higher.
- Have a minimum reading score of 219. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the placement test will not be a requirement for the Fall 2020 admission. Although, a high reading score increases the chances of ranking into the top to earn a seat for Fall 2020 admission. There are 24 seats available and students are ranked based on reading score and this Fall (for those who do not have a reading placement test score) will be ranked on date and time of application submission. If anyone is interested in taking the ACCUPLACER placement test remotely, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (928) 344-7641.
- Eligibility to take Math 121 or higher.
- Have Arizona DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card for Volunteer Health Science Student & Clinical Assistant. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Medical Assistant Program has postponed this requirement until the end of the Fall 2020 semester since a lot of places that issue a fingerprint clearance card are currently closed.
- Hold a Healthcare Provider (BLS Provider) or Professional Rescuer (CPR) certification. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Medical Assistant Program has postponed this requirement until the end of the Fall 2020 semester since a lot of places that issue a CPR card are currently closed or only allowing a limited number of people per class.
Students must submit a program application by July 9, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. (new extended deadline) to apply to the program for the Fall 2020 admission. Once accepted into the program, students will be able to register for required major courses.
Applied Associate of Science = 66 total credits
|MDA 119 The Basics of Body Structure and Function||3 Credits|
|MDA 120 Medical Office||2 Credits|
|MDA 121 Medical Technician||3 Credits|
|MDA 239 Medical Assistant Externship 1||10 Credits|
|MDA 240 Medical Assistant Externship 2||10 Credits|
All requirements of the certificate program with the addition of the following (see current AWC catalog for AGEC-A specific course listing)
|Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Requirements for Graduation|
|English Composition||6 Credits|
|Arts & Humanities||6 Credits|
|Social & Behavioral Science||6 Credits|
|Physical & Biological Science||8 Credits|
|Any additional GE course||6 Credits|
Students must earn a “C” or better in all courses in the program.