The Medical Assistant program is happy to announce we will be starting a new cohort for Spring 2021 semester!
To provide more in depth information about the Medical Assistant Program and the requirements needed to apply to the program, we have planned two Information Sessions for students. The sessions are scheduled for Wednesday, November 11 and Wednesday, November 18 at 7pm by Zoom. The Zoom link is: https://azwestern.zoom.us/j/95987228130
Arizona Western College Medical Assistant Program
Gain an understanding of front and back-office skills to prepare for direct employment in a medical practice setting. Front office functions include checking patients in & out upon arrival & departure, phone etiquette, and scheduling appointments, working in electronic health records. Basics of billing and coding in the office. Back office skills such as recording vital signs, electrocardiograms, laboratory procedures, medication administration, and assisting the healthcare provider in special procedures are included. The laboratory and externship experiences are designed to give the student hands-on application of procedures in a medical office setting. After completing the program, the successful student is eligible to take the National Health Career Association (NHA) exam for Certified Medical Assistant (CCMA).
Apply to Program (updated requirements are listed below)
- Students must submit a program application to register for required courses.
- Eligibility for MAT 121 or higher Math level.
- Eligibility for ENG 101 or higher English level and have successfully completed or be concurrently enrolled in ENG 101 during the first semester in the Medical Assistant Program.
- Have successfully completed or concurrently enrolled in AHE 101 during the first semester in the Medical Assistant Program.
- Have a minimum reading score of 219. There are 24 seats available and students are ranked based on reading score. Please email email@example.com or call (928) 344-7641 to make an appointment for the Next-Gen Reading placement test.
Note: Before the end of the student's second semester in the program, they will be required to have a Arizona DPS Fingerprint Clearance Card for Volunteer Health Science Student & Clinical Assistant and a Healthcare Provider (BLS Provider) or Professional Rescuer (CPR) certification.
Students must submit a program application by December 3, 2020 at 4:30 p.m. to apply to the program for the Spring 2021 admission. Once accepted into the program, students will be able to register for required major courses.
Applied Associate of Science = 63 total credits
|MDA 119 The Basics of Body Structure and Function||3 Credits|
|MDA 120 Medical Office||2 Credits|
|MDA 121 Medical Technician||3 Credits|
|MDA 239 Medical Assistant Externship 1||10 Credits|
|MDA 240 Medical Assistant Externship 2||10 Credits|
All requirements of the certificate program with the addition of the following (see current AWC catalog for AGEC-A specific course listing)
|Associate of Applied Science (A.A.S.) Requirements for Graduation|
|English Composition||6 Credits|
|Arts & Humanities||6 Credits|
|Social & Behavioral Science||6 Credits|
|Physical & Biological Science||8 Credits|
|Any additional GE course||6 Credits|
Students must earn a “C” or better in all courses in the program.