Education - Elementary with Early Childhood Education Emphasis
A.A. - Transfer Degree
Learn more about transfer options below.
Students planning to enter the field of education may complete their first two years of study at AWC. Students interested in working with children grade four and below, in an elementary setting, are encouraged to follow the prescribed and recommended lists of courses for certification in AZ and/or graduation from a state university with a degree in education.
Graduates will demonstrate (1) basic knowledge in early childhood education that will prepare them for transfer to the university and (2) critical thinking skills in AWC’s General Education focus areas.
- Demonstrate an awareness of and a beginning understanding of the teaching profession in regard to its historical context, the implications of the profession, and the role played by public education in contemporary society.
- Articulate a beginning philosophy of education that incorporates an understanding of relevant theories and models of education.
- Recognize and appreciate the diversity as it exists in the community and within each educational environment.
- Construct lesson plans based on current best practices, developmental theories, and state and national standards.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
Visit Academic Planning to get started on your personalized Academic Plan, or schedule an appointment with the Advising Office or with a Faculty Advisor.
Program Requirements Based on Fall/Spring rotation (AGEC-A certificate also included)
|EDU 110||Introduction to Education||3||Major Requirement|
|Freshman Composition I||3||GE-Composition|
|MAT 142||College Mathematics or higher||3||GE-Mathematics|
|HIS 121||US History to 1877||3||GE-Social & Behavioral Sciences|
|Physical Science||Choose one course from Physical Sciences||4||GE-Physical & Biological Sciences|
- Apply for the IVP Fingerprint Clearance Card
- Have vaccinations up-to-date (especially “Whooping Cough”)
- Complete in-class observation hours
- Meet professors one-on-one
- Research University Degree Program options
- Plan with your advisor after midterm grades posted
- Attend AWC Majors Fair & Career Expos
- Register with Jobs 4 Matadors
|EDU 210||Cultural Diversity in Education||3||Major Requirement|
|Freshman Composition II||3||GE-Composition|
|MAT 130||Math for Elementary Teachers I||3||Major Requirement|
|SPC 215||Public Speaking||3||GE-Additional Course|
|Life Science||Choose a course from Life Science||4||GE-Physical & Biological Sciences|
- Join a club
- Attend Transfer Services Events
- Apply for Scholarships
|EDU 222||Introduction to Special Education||3||Major Requirement|
|MAT 135||Math for Elementary Education II||3||Major Requirement|
|ECE 240||Child Growth and Development||3||GE-Social & Behavioral Sciences|
|ECE 265||Children's Literature||3||Departmental Requirement|
|World Regional Geography or
History of US since 1877
|3||GE-Social & Behavioral Sciences|
|ART||Choose one course from Arts||3||GE-Arts|
- If transferring, apply to universities
- Visit universities campus
- Apply for internship or volunteer opportunities
|EDU 200||Lesson Planning||2||Departmental Requirement|
|EDU 207||Education Practicum||1||Major Requirement|
|EDU 275||Classroom Management||3||Major Requirement|
|POS 221||Arizona Constitution and Government||2||Major Requirement|
|POS 222||National Constitution and Government||1||Major Requirement|
|HUM||Choose one course from ENG Humanities (Writing Intensive)||3||GE-Humanities|
|Elective||Choose any General Elective (100-level or higher)||2-3||General Elective|
- Apply for Graduation
- Attend Etiquette Lunch
- Meet with Career Services
- Apply for university scholarship opportunities
|Arizona State University||BAE||Elementary Education||None|
|Northern Arizona University||BSED||Elementary Education||None|
|University of Arizona||BAE||Elementary Education||4th Semester Proficiency|
AZTransfer will provide you with more information and tools on how to transfer to ASU, NAU, and UofA.
Need help with transferring? The AWC Transfer Services office can provide you with individualized help to explore degree pathways and specific university requirements. Visit their website or schedule an appointment with a transfer specialist.