A.A.S. - Occupational Degree
For students interested in agriculture, this program provides entry skills in agriculture and some flexibility for choices in the agricultural area of interest.
Graduate will demonstrate (1) basic knowledge in agriculture that will prepare them to obtain an entry-level position within the field and (2) critical thinking skills in AWC’s General Education focus areas.
- Identify and define function of plant tissues, specialized cells, and sub-cellular organelles.
- Explain the 5 primary functions of plants including: photosynthesis, respiration, translocation, absorption, and transpiration.
- Describe the complexities and functions of the flower including pollination, double fertilization, embryo development and its genetic inheritance.
- Correlate soil properties with plant growth and make recommendations regarding nutrient availability, crop water requirements and basic soil management.
- Identify the relationship of soil moisture and fertilizer availability.
- Identify and solve some of the problems facing production and distribution.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
First Semester: Fall
|AGB 230||Agricultural Business Management||3||Major Requirement|
|BIO 181||General Biology I/GE||4||Major Requirement|
|ENG 101 or ENG 107||Freshman Composition/GE||3||GE - Composition|
|MAT 142||College Math with Applications/GE||3||GE - Math|
|PLS 100||Plant Science/GE||4||Major Requirement|
Second Semester: Spring
|BIO 182||General Biology II/GE||4||Major Requirement|
|ENG 102 or ENG 108||Freshman Composition/GE||3||GE - Composition|
|PLS 211||Soils/GE||4||Major Requirement|
|PLS 290||Vegetable Crop Production||4||Departmental Requirement|
Third Semester: Fall
|CHM 151||General Chemistry/GE||4||GE - Physical/Biological Science|
|ECN 250||Microeconomics/GE||3||GE - Social/Behavioral Science|
|PLS 120||Agriculture Entomolgy (recommended)||3||Departmental Requirement|
|PLS 230||Basic Crop Fertility (recommended)||4||Departmental Requirement|
Fourth Semester: Spring
|ACC 211||Financial Accounting||3||Major Requirement|
|AGS 296||Agriculture Internship (recommended)||2||Departmental Requirement|
|CIS 120||Introduction to Computer Information Systems/GE (recommended)||3||GE - Additional Courses|
|ENG 281 or PHI 105||Introduction to Film Studies/GE or Introduction to Ethics/GE (recommended)||3||GE - Arts/Humanities|
|PLS 240||Plant Propogation (recommended)||4||Departmental Requirement|