In an effort to assist instructors in sustaining the integrity of course testing in the online format, Arizona Western College has integrated the Respondus Software LockDown Browser® and Monitor. This is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within Canvas. While we understand that not all instructors will have the need for this tool, we do want to make sure that you are aware of the option to utilize these features as a way to administer secure exams online. Here is some additional information:
What does Lockdown Browser do?
- Tests/quizzes are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
- Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
- Copying and pasting anything to or from a tests/quizzes are prevented
- Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts, and task switching are disabled
- A test/quiz cannot be exited until the student submits it for grading
- Test/quizzes that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
How do I learn how to use these features?
Attached you will find the Quick Start Guide for utilizing Respondus for instructors and for your students. There are also additional resources are available at https://web.respondus.com/he/lockdownbrowser/resources/. Instructors can also find these same training resources within the application itself. Please be aware that students are required to download the software in order to use Respondus Lockdown and if you are using Monitor, your students will need a webcam.
What do my students need to do?
If you are administering an exam in which you require the use of Respondus Lockdown and/or Monitor, the following information should be shared with your students. The students should complete steps 1 through 3 before the first examination is administered. Note: This is a communication template that requires faculty modification as highlighted in bold below. Note 2: It is recommended that you create a practice quiz that allows each student to verify the features are working.
Using LockDown Browser and a Webcam for Online Exams
This course requires the use of LockDown Browser and a webcam for online exams. The webcam can be built into your computer or can be the type that plugs in with a USB cable. Please do the following:
- Watch this short video (http://www.respondus.com/products/lockdown-browser/student-movie.shtml) to get a basic understanding of LockDown Browser and the webcam feature. A student Quick Start Guide (PDF) is also available.
- Download and install LockDown Browser from this link: https://download.respondus.com/lockdown/download.php?id=483102435
- Verify LockDown Browser and the webcam are set up properly:
- Start LockDown Browser, log into Canvas, and select this course.
- Locate and select the Help Center button on the LockDown Browser toolbar.
- Run the Webcam Check and, if necessary, resolve any issues.
- Run the System & Network Check. If a problem is indicated, see if a solution is provided in the Knowledge Base. Troubleshooting information can also be emailed to our institution's help desk.
- Exit the Help Center and locate the practice quiz named [NOTE TO INSTRUCTOR: CREATE A BRIEF PRACTICE QUIZ AND INSERT NAME OF QUIZ HERE; IF NECESSARY, INCLUDE LOCATION OF QUIZ].
- Upon completing and submitting the practice quiz, exit LockDown Browser.
- When taking an online exam that requires LockDown Browser and a webcam, remember the following guidelines:
- Ensure you're in a location where you won't be interrupted
- Turn off all other devices (e.g. tablets, phones, second computers) and place them outside of your reach
- Clear your desk of all external materials not permitted — books, papers, other devices
- Before starting the test, know how much time is available for it, and that you've allotted sufficient time to complete it
- Remain at your computer for the duration of the test
- If the computer or networking environment is different than what was used previously with the Webcam Check and System & Network Check-in LockDown Browser, run the checks again prior to starting the test
- To produce a good webcam video, do the following:
- Avoid wearing baseball caps or hats with brims
- Ensure your computer or tablet is on a firm surface (a desk or table). Do NOT have the computer on your lap, a bed, or other surfaces where the device (or you) are likely to move
- If using a built-in webcam, avoid tilting the screen after the webcam setup is complete
- Take the exam in a well-lit room and avoid backlighting, such as sitting with your back to a window
Remember that LockDown Browser will prevent you from accessing other websites or applications; you will be unable to exit the test until all questions are completed and submitted.