Welding Certificate of Proficiency SMAW
CERT - Occupational Certificate
Graduates will demonstrate skills in (1) basic knowledge in the welding field required of an entry level employee in the industry and (2) critical thinking skills in AWC’s General Education focus areas.
Graduates will demonstrate skills in Shielded Metal Arc Welding which will prepare them to obtain an entry level position in the field.
- Demonstrate basic mathematical functions such as adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying whole numbers, fractions and decimals, and explain their applications to the welding construction trades including geometry and some trigonometric functions for calculating angles for layout and fabrication of structural steel plate and pipe connections.
- Demonstrate safe work practices associated with the OAW process.
- Demonstrate welding/cutting techniques used for the OAW process.
- Demonstrate safe work practices associated with the SMAW process.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the safe use of related welding equipment used to prepare metals for welding using the SMAW process.
- Performs steel plate welding using the SMAW process in four basic positions.
- Demonstrate structural steel shapes used in weld fabrication.
- Demonstrate the correct weld techniques necessary to complete a weld test under the AWS-D1.1 Structural Welding Code using Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) with backing.
- Demonstrate mastery of basic programing of robotic welding equipment using defined parameters.