CERT - Occupational Certificate
Prepares students for an entry-level position in the construction trades industry. This program provides opportunities for students to learn to install, maintain, and repair electrical wiring, equipment, and fixtures in accordance with relevant codes. Program curriculum is aligned with National Center for Construction Education Research standardized national skills standards for the construction trades.
Provide program completers with greater knowledge and experience in residential construction with emphasis on electrical technology and competency in communication, critical thinking, quantitative analysis and technological application.
- Explain the obligations of workers, supervisors, and managers to ensure a safe work place (NCCER module 00101-09 – Basic Safety, subject to revision).
- Demonstrate the proper use of ladders, scaffolds and tools.
- Perform calculations to correct the power factor of single-phase and three-phase circuits.
- Explain the purpose of electrical system and equipment grounding.
- Identify proper hardware and material to be used for installations.
- Describe the differences in each of the four basic drawings (single-line, pictorial, schematic, and ladder diagram) used to convey electrical information.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 09/2019
First Semester: Fall
|DFT 100||Auto CAD 1 Drafting||3||Departmental Requirement|
|TEC 100||Core Curriculum Introductory Craft Skills||5||Major Requirement|
|ECT 105||Basic Electricity||3||Major Requirement|
|ECT 110||Control Circuits||4||Major Requirement|
Second Semester: Spring
|ACR 103||Electrical Motors, Circuits, and Controls||3||Departmental Requirement|
|ECT 115||National Electrical Code||3||Major Requirement|
|ECT 205||Fixtures and Installation||4||Major Requirement|
|ECT 210||Control Circuits||4||Major Requirement|
|TEC 165||Employee and Occupational Safety||3||Departmental Requirement|