Recognizing that a successful career in automotive technology involves much more than the mechanical ability to replace parts, the Automotive Technology program and certificates are designed for individuals who have the ability and aptitude to become a skilled automotive technician. Students gain competencies in a variety of automotive systems which enables them to diagnose and perform corrective procedures accurately. In addition, students receive advanced technical education procedures on many vehicle components to keep them abreast of current changes in the automotive industry. This program is certified through the National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation (NATEF). When completing the automotive training the student will be able to apply for and take the Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification examinations.
Graduates of the automotive program and certificates will:
- Analyze automotive applications and determine the needed materials and equipment necessary to perform tasks related to all automotive disciplines listed in the degree.
- Perform entry-level diagnosis and repair of automobiles
- Be able to overhaul suspension systems, align vehicles, understand automotive brake systems and related electrical system applications using advanced technological simulators and live vehicles.
- Participate in on-car brake lathe certification through Pro-Cut rotor matching systems.
- Describe the interaction of automotive computers with various systems of operation on the vehicle with the use of advanced technological simulators and live vehicles.
- Be able to address automotive electrical, automotive computer network systems, and air conditioning issues with the use of advanced technological simulators and live vehicles.
- Be able to address automotive engine, transmission and electrical system issues with the use of advanced technological simulators and live vehicles.