The Solar Photovoltaic Installation program and certificate provides students a basic understanding of electrical theory, wiring to proper code requirements, proper safety and panel mounting, panel positioning and tie-in to the commercial grid. Students will have the skills necessary to enter the workforce as a solar panel installer and prepares them to sit for the North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) PV Entry Level Examination.
Graduates of the solar installation program or certificate will learn a wide range of skills and gain industry specific experience in:
- measuring voltage, current, and resistance.
- the purpose and rating process of over current protection devices.
- preparing cable ends for terminations and splices and connect cables using lugs or connectors.
- electrical loads, solar radiation and operating temperature affect the electrical output of a PV device.
- the purposes and functions of the major components in PV systems.
- the basic types of inverters used in PV systems.
- differentiating between the approaches and methodologies for sizing different types of PV systems.