Plumbing STEM Emphasis
A.A.S. - Occupational Degree
This program provides courses in the plumbing and technical subject areas as well as the required general education courses to prepare students to transfer to a university. Students should work closely with an Academic Advisor regarding the requirements at a specific four-year institution.
Graduates will demonstrate increased knowledge and ability in subjects related to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) through completion of courses as part of the AGEC (Arizona General Education Curriculum); as well as basic knowledge in plumbing that will prepare them to obtain an entry-level position within the field and critical thinking skills in AWC?s General Education focus areas.
- Identify and explain safe use of hand tools that are widely used in the construction industry, i.e. hammers, saws, levels, pullers, vises, and clamps (NCCER 00104-09 – Introduction to Power Tools, subject to revision).
- Identify brazing and soldering safety procedures to prevent fires and personal injury and the use of a hot work permit.
- Describe different piping materials for water service.
- Design basic residential water supply and distribution system.
- Properly identify and install different types of faucets.