Yuma, AZ (March 12, 2020) – In an effort to take precautions against the Coronavirus (COVID-19), Arizona Western College will cancel classes on Monday, March 16, and Tuesday, March 17, and then transition from in-person classes to online delivery wherever possible starting Wednesday, March 18.
“We have been closely monitoring information and recommendations surrounding the outbreak and spread of the novel Coronavirus. Although there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on any of our campuses, we have been working with our internal teams to prepare for a transition to online course delivery where feasible to avoid a potential spread,” said Arizona Western College President Dr. Daniel Corr.
· All in-person classes, where feasible, will transition to online instruction through March 27, 2020, during which time AWC will assess the situation and determine the next course of action. Note: Spring Break is March 30–April 3.
· All campus locations will remain open and continue normal operations. All services for students including campus housing, food services, academic library, and computer labs will remain available.
· Faculty will communicate with students directly regarding the delivery of course material. Distance Education staff will be available at (928) 317-6137 for Blackboard technical support.
· All AWC events during the semester will be assessed on a case-by-case basis. Watch AWC’s social media and online calendar for updated information.
· All community events hosted at any AWC location will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
· Student field trips to and from campus have been canceled.
AWC administration will remain in constant contact with community and statewide partners to monitor the situation as it continues to develop.
“Based on information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and based on precautions taken by our peer institutions, we feel this is the appropriate course of action,” said Corr. “As always, AWC is committed to providing a high-quality education for our students. We will be closely monitoring the situation and will provide updates as promptly and broadly as possible.”
Visit azwestern.edu/COVID for the most updated information
Students and staff are encouraged to follow the recommended preventative measures to stay healthy.
Director of Communications and Marketing
Arizona Western College