CERT - Occupational Certificate
Designed to equip students with the knowledge and practical skills necessary for certification as entry-level firefighters. Successful completion with a "B" or higher allows students to sit for the Firefighter 1 and 2 certification examinations as conducted by the Arizona Center for Fire Service Excellence.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in fire science that will prepare them for employment as firefighters.
- Describe the organization of the fire department.
- Explain the mission of the fire service and of the local fire department.
- Explain the role of other agencies that may respond to emergencies.
- Summarize guidelines for radio communications.
- Describe the characteristics of hose appliances and tools.
- Describe the suppression characteristics of firefighting foam.
- Explain why bulk transport vehicle fires are difficult incidents.
- Discuss the roles of firefighters and investigators at investigations.
- Describe basic actions taken for patient management.
- Describe the three methods of moving water in a system.
- Describe types of heat detectors.
- Discuss the fire prevention activities of reviewing community data and code enforcement.
Recommended Program Map / Program Requirements
The recommended plan below meets the requirements to complete this program. For official requirements, visit the AWC Catalog. If the recommended classes listed below don’t fit your schedule or interests, you can take alternate classes.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Program
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. Rev. 10/2022
|FSC 148||Fire Academy 1||9||Major Requirement|
|FSC 149||Fire Academy 2||7||Major Requirement|
|FSC 112||Hazardous Material Awareness and Operations||3||Major Requirement|
Application available now!
|Fire Application Checklist||Download|
- Tuesday, January 17, 2023
- Tuesday - 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Thursday - 6:00PM - 10:00PM
- Saturday - 7:00AM - 5:00PM
Check the Fire Science program page for any additional information.