STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math) Futures Grant
Building Brighter Futures through STEM Futures is an innovative endeavor by Arizona Western College (AWC) and University of Arizona (UA) to increase the number of Hispanic and low-income students attaining Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) degrees in Southwest Arizona. The grant’s primary mission is to develop and offer a 4-year degree in Systems Engineering in Yuma, utilizing the newly-renovated Engineering Technology Building on the AWC main campus, in cooperation with UA.
INSPIRE students to engage in STEM discovery and innovation
DEVELOP a world-class STEM workforce talent pool
ATTRACT & RETAIN STEM talent through a dynamic and innovative school environment
DELIVER coordinated, collaborative, and cohesive STEM programs
Learn more about our Systems Engineering Pathway program with the University of Arizona.
WEST Club or Western Engineering, Science and Technology Club is the first Engineering Club in Arizona Western College (AWC).The club welcomes all AWC students who are willing and/or are majoring in Math and Science related field. The club offers hands on and practical experience in engineering related projects and industries in Yuma.
All About Engineering
ENGINEERING is the application of scientific and math principles with ethical considerations to develop solutions and products that SOLVE PROBLEMS for the benefit of society.
What do Engineers do?
- Use math, science and creative thinking
- Work in teams
- Solve problems
- Ethical considerations
- Determine a “best solution”
Design, model, investigate, organize and manage elaborate systems of materials, machines, information & people to guarantee the successful operation of defined procedures in key areas such as manufacturing, telecommunications, transportation, health-care, and environmental services.
Where the jobs are...
Systems Engineering graduates find jobs in many areas of industry, consulting, and government:
- Manufacturing (semiconductors, automobiles, aircraft and missiles, etc.)
- Software developers
- Telecommunications industries (long distance service providers, wireless communications)
- Consulting companies (in manufacturing, services, business management, and finance)
- Transportation (airlines, trucking, consulting, federal, state and city transportation agencies)
- Services (health-care, telemarketing, banking, entertainment, construction and project management, etc.)