Carpentry STEM Emphasis
A.A.S. - Occupational Degree
Learn more about transfer options below.
This program provides courses in the carpentry and technical subject areas as well as the required general education courses to prepare students to transfer to a university. Students should work closely with an Academic Advisor regarding the requirements at a specific four-year institution.
Graduates will demonstrate basic knowledge in carpentry that will prepare them to obtain an entry level position within the field and critical thinking skills in AWC’s General Education focus areas.
- Demonstrate basic mathematical functions such as adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplying whole number, fractions, and decimals, and explain their applications to the construction trades (NCCER module 00102-09 – Introduction to Construction Math, subject to revision).
- Describe orthographic projection, multi-view drawings, auxiliary views, section views, and pictorials.
- Demonstrate computation and check bid to include costs, overhead, and profit.
- Develop a basic understanding of the various components, which interlock to create a finished structure.
- Develop a basic understanding of estimating the quantity of materials for each system of construction as it relates to wood framing systems.
- Read and interpret lab tests used in quality control of concrete.
- Explain different styles of leadership as options for various situations found in construction interactions.