We're looking forward to welcoming you to the Matador Men's Basketball program this season. We want the process of making you part of our program to be as quick and easy as possible. To do that, we need you to complete the following steps no less than 45 days PRIOR to the start of preseason training camp in early August.
AWC Men's Head Basketball Coach
Get started by filling out the Athletics Recruiting Questionnaire.
This process can be completed in 8 simple steps:
1. Financial Aid Application. ALL STUDENTS must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before attending Arizona Western College. Student-Athletes can NOT receive any type of athletic scholarships without their FAFSA filled out and submitted to AWC financial aid office. Students should be prepared to cover their expenses with personal funds should they fail to complete the process in a timely manner. Follow these 4 steps below to complete your FAFSA:
STOP-If you have already completed an online 2014-2015 FAFSA application (for Summer 2015) or the 2015-2016 FAFSA application (for Fall 2015-2016).
You need to CLICK HERE to add Arizona Western College School Code (001071).
a. Step 1- Prospects CLICK HERE to get your PIN NUMBER. Needed prior to filling out the FAFSA online.
b. Step 2- Parents MUST CLICK HERE to get their PIN NUMBER. This is needed to fill out your son’s FAFSA online and be able to submit.
c. Step 3- Gather this REQUIRED information to apply for the FAFSA:
• Your Social Security number and your parents’ Social Security number(s), if you under the age of 23 and not married.
• Your driver’s license number if you have one.
• Federal tax information or tax returns (1040) for your parents or the parent that claims you.
• Records of untaxed income, such as social security benefits and veterans benefits.
• Information on investments, business or farm assets.
• Have your Arizona Western College school number written down (001071). You will need this on your FAFSA application.
d. Step 4- With the above information and your PIN Number and your parents PIN number CLICK HERE to fill out and submit your FAFSA online. Make sure you write down or print your confirmation number.
If you have any questions once you have completed and submitted your FAFSA online, call Coach Michael Orthmann at 928-344-7533. Coach Orthmann works in our financial aid office at AWC. All students must submit a valid driver's license or state ID (preferred method is to scan it to a PDF form). E-mail to Michael Orthmann.
f. Step 5 - If selected for verification, complete the following steps:
Verification Worksheets: 2014-15: CLICK HERE
Tax transcripts and wage/salary transcript for the year requested*
CLICK HERE to order a tax transcript from the IRS website
Information for other income (earned or otherwise) for the year requested
If any other information is required, students will be notified by mail or Toromail
*Students that have successfully used the IRS Data Retrieval option to upload/populate tax information to the FAFSA application may not be required to provide 1040/W2 information (see Financial Aid Office).
Financial Aid funds (including loans) CANNOT be awarded until the verification process is complete. Students are encouraged to submit paperwork as quickly as possible in order to avoid delays in awarding.
2. Application for Admission. To complete a school application, CLICK HERE and then click on 'Online Application for Admission'. For questions regarding applying at AWC, call Enrollment Services at 928-317-6100.
Once you have received your AWC Student ID number, you must activate your AWC Student Account. CLICK HERE to get started.
3. Housing Application. Complete ONLINE housing application CLICK HERE. Steps “A” and “B” must be completed. For answers to some frequently asked questions, CLICK HERE. If you still have remaining questions, call Campus Life at (928) 344-7578. To view pictures of current on-campus housing, CLICK HERE.
a. A $100 Dollar deposit is required of all students before they can enter the Residence Halls, and must be sent along with your housing application or call Campus Life with a credit card number.
b. Fax or Email Copies of your immunization records to (928) 317-5888 or firstname.lastname@example.org. (MMR1 & MMR2) Measles, Mumps, and Rubella.
YOU WILL NOT HAVE A ROOM UNLESS WE HAVE A COPY OF YOUR IMMUNIZATION RECORDS.
4. Placement Test. All freshmen must take a placement test in Math, English and Reading before they can be enrolled. You can come to Arizona Western College to take this test, or take the test at your local community/junior college. Results must be sent to Arizona Western College. Our testing center is open from 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 pm. Monday through Thursday and a picture ID to test.
a. At AWC: You must be accepted as an AWC student, and must present a picture ID.
b. At your local community college: You may test at another Community/Junior College-but make sure that the test is ACCUPLACER, COMPASS or ASSET. Take the test at a Community/Junior College that you could attend during the summer or winter breaks or take classes from online. Fax your results to the AWC Testing Center at (928) 344-7712 and for questions call (928) 344-7641.
c. Off-Camps Testing: Request for distance testing; Proctor/Selection Guidelines “CLICK HERE” . Request form “CLICK HERE” .
d. ACT/SAT Scores: You must have the minimum following scores for AWC for the scores to be accepted:
ACT English: 20; ACT Math: 22
SAT Critical Reading: 500; SAT Math: 520
If you do not have the minimum scores, you MUST take the placement test listed above.
(WORD OF ADVICE: Take your time on the test, do your best, and remember that you are allowed breaks. The test is not timed. Those that fare well on the test may avoid having to enroll in developmental classes at AWC.)
5. Registration for classes:
After you have faxed or taken your placement tests, call on or after May 1st to register for Fall Classes.
Call on or after December 1st to register for Spring Classes.
You will speak to Coach Jerry Dominguez at (928) 317-6112 to set up your class schedule.
For registration resources and to learn how to use WebAdvisor to be able to register online, CLICK HERE.
6. Business Office (to set up payment plan): To make payments or set up payment plan, or if you have any other questions regarding payment, call (928) 344-7700 and press '1'. To set up payment plan online, CLICK HERE. You must set up a Web Advisor account to set up your payment plan.
7. Transcripts. You must send an official copy of your high school/college transcript to the address below.
a. High School Students: an official copy of your high school transcript (with a graduation date posted) must be received by AWC. Make arrangements with a school official to mail an official transcript with your date of GRADUATION the day after you officially graduate from high school.
b. Transfer Students: all incoming students will be checked against national database. We will need an official transcript from each college you have attended.
8. Physical Examination and Waivers. You must get a physical examination before reporting to practices in spring or fall. Physical must be up-dated ever year. You must complete all signature pages on the AWC physical and provide a copy of your insurance card if insured to participate. CLICK HERE for the AWC physical exam form.
Send all paperwork to:
AWC Men's Basketball
Attn: Charles Harral, Head Coach
2020 S. Avenue 8E
Yuma, AZ 85365