YUMA, AZ – As the NCAA Division 1 bowl season wrapped up Monday with the final BCS National Championship between #1 Florida State and #2 Auburn, current Arizona Western College Head Football Coach Tom Minnick continued to beam from ear to ear.
“It’s an amazing feeling to sit at home and see these kids on the grand stage,” said Minnick.
What Coach is referring to is seeing his former players on ESPN and other large sports networks in their respective bowl games.
“We have 15 players that competed in a bowl game this year that were a part of past Matador football teams,” said Minnick
The fifteen players include such names as linebacker Randy Gregory at the University of Nebraska, tight end Cameron Clear with Texas A&M University, three players at Arizona State University which includes Chris Young, Dionte Savage at University of Oklahoma, and Sam Wren at Oklahoma State University.
“We are so proud of these young men,” said AWC Athletics Director Jerry Smith. “Our job is to help these men get the grades they need to move on to the next level. Because of their hard work and dedication to Arizona Western College, they now have moved on and continue to make us proud at the next level.”
Even though the Matadors did not have a single player in this year’s National Championship, it was still a successful bowl season for former Matadors.
“Arizona Western is one of, if not the top JUCO in football transfers to the Division 1 level,” said Coach Tom Minnick.
The Matadors 2013 season ended on December 7th following a loss to New Mexico Military Institute in the Fisher Automotive El Toro Bowl. AWC will kick off their 2014 campaign back at home against NMMI at Veterans Memorial Stadium on Saturday August 23rd. The kickoff time is TBD.
Complete Players List:
- Keli’ikuewa Kekuewa – Bowling Green State (Lost 30-27 to Pittsburgh in the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl) OL
- Jaylen Hunter – Middle Tennessee State (Lost 24-6 to Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl) OL
- Maurice Alexander – Utah State (Won 21-14 vs Northern Illinois in the Poinsettia Bowl) Safety – No Stats
- Randy Gregory – Nebraska (Won 24-19 vs Georgia in the Gator Bowl) LB – 5 tackles (3 solo, 2 asst.) 1 sack
- Cameron Clear – Texas A&M (Won 52-48 vs Duke in the Chick-fil-A Bowl) TE – 2 rec. 38 yards
- Chris Young – Arizona State (Lost 37-23 vs Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl) LB – 9 tackles (6 solo, 3 asst.)
- Darwin Rogers – Arizona State (Lost 37-23 vs Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl) TE – No Stats
- Steffon Martin – Arizona State (Lost 37-23 vs Texas Tech in the Holiday Bowl) LB – No Stats
- Tanner McEvoy – Wisconsin (Lost 34-24 vs South Carolina in the Capitol One Bowl) QB – No Stats
- Damien Williams – Oklahoma (Won 45-31 vs Alabama in the Sugar Bowl) RB – No Stats (No longer with team)
- Dionte Savage – Oklahoma (Won 45-31 vs Alabama in the Sugar Bowl) OL – No Stats
- Sam Wren – Oklahoma State (Lost 41-31 vs Missouri in the Cotton Bowl)DE – 3 tackles (1 solo, 2 asst.)
- Markeith Ambles – Houston (Lost 41-24 vs Vanderbilt in the BBVA Compass Bowl) WR – 6 rec. 105 yards, 1 TD
- Rob Tunuufi Sauvao – Central Florida (Won 52-42 vs Baylor in the Tostitos Fiesta Bowl) DL – Did Not Play
- Calvin Tonga – Colorado State (Won 48-45 vs Washington State in the “New Mexico Bowl”) DL – 1 tackle (0 solo, 1 asst.)