The Ag Science Dept. offers a wide array of courses that reflect agricultural production in the desert southwest from plant science, pest management, and soils to animal science, turfgrass management, and plant propagation.
The department is continuing to work with research specialist, industry leaders, and University academia to develop advanced courses and degrees that meet the needs of the community and industry.
Why Choose Ag?
1. Job Security - We have a 100% job placement rate for students within their first 6 months post-graduation. As long as people need to eat and wear clothes, there will be jobs in the ag industry.
2. Ag Grows Yuma - Food and fiber production in Yuma county is a $3.2 billion industry. Businesses need educated employees to assist in managing, supervising, organizing, and analyzing resources.
3. Hands-on experience - Not only do our classes work on the school farm and greenhouse, but students get to meet with industry leaders on a regular basis to hear what is the latest industry advancement and practice. Many of our classes are even taught by men and women working in the industry to ensure students are kept up-to-date.
5. Financial Assistance
7. Post-graduation Lifestyle - Many members of the ag industry would not describe their work as a "job," but simply a lifestyle. Producing food for a growing population is challenging no matter what part of the production or supply chain you are involved with, therefore you can expect a fast-paced life beyond the hours of 9 to 5.
8. Global Opportunities - Yuma agriculture is a global market with products and commodities shipping to Italy, Egypt, Japan, China, and others every day. By studying in Yuma you will be exposed to the global supply chain and potentially work for a local company with international connections.