Purpose and Requirements of Perkins Funding
The purpose of the "Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Improvement Act of 2006" is the support of career & technical (=occupational) programs by providing annual grant funds which AWC is required to use for the following:
1) strengthen the academic, occupational and technical skills of students
2) provide students with strong experience in and understanding of all aspects of an industry, including partnerships/collaboration with local industry representatives
3) develop, improve or expand the use of technology in career and technical education
4) provide professional development programs to instructors, counselors and administrators
5) develop and implement evaluations of career & technical education programs
6) initiate, improve, expand and modernize quality career & techincal education programs
7) provide services and activities that are of sufficient size, scope and quality to be effective
8) link secondary and postsecondary career and technical education including Tech Prep initiatives and articulation agreements to include credits.
To receive Perkins grant funding Arizona Western College is required to submit an extensive grant application as well as regular fiscal and program reports to ensure compliance with federal and state law. In addition AWC has to report if the program meets the annually adjusted Performance Measure Levels (CAR Report).
The current reporting timeline can be found here:
2012-2013 Postsecondary Perkins Reporting Timeline
Arizona Western College is required to submit its annual performance regarding the Perkins Performance Measures via the Consolidated Annual Report (CAR Report).
A definition of the individual performance measures can be found here:
Definition of CAR IV Performance Measures (April 2011)
A copy of Arizona Western College's most recent CAR Reports can be found here:
CAR III Report 2009-10 - Participants + Concentrators
CAR IV Report 2009-10 - Perf. Measures
CAR III Report 2010-11 - Participants + Concentrators
CAR IV Report 2010-11 - Perf. Measures (Revised December 2011)
(to be submitted in Fall 2012)
In case a college does not meet at least 90% of the annually adjusted Performance Measure Levels, an Improvement Plan has to be submitted for the next grant year.
A copy of Arizona Western College's most recent Improvement Plans can be found here:
2008-09 Performance Levels + 2009-10 Improvement Plan
2009-10 Performance Levels + 2010-11 Improvement Plan
2010-11 Performance Levels + 2011-12 Improvement Plan (March 2012)
For questions regarding this program please contact the Career & Technical Education Division via email or call 928-344-7567.