Earth Quake Emergency Procedures
The potential for an earthquake does exist in Yuma. If a major earthquake were to occur, Arizona Western College must be prepared to provide its own resources for an unlimited period of time.
- Stay inside! Do not run outside during the quake. (Do not use elevators!)
- Take cover underneath a desk or table, protecting your head or neck.
- Stay away from windows and objects that could fall on you.
- Once the quake is over, leave the building and go to the safe zones, stay away from trees and poles.
- Be prepared for aftershocks.
- Authorized personnel will announce if it is safe to return to your building.
After Shaking Stops:
- Run to an area away from trees, buildings, walls, and power lines.
- Drop to your knees and get into a fetal position, close your eyes and cross your arms over the back of your neck for protection.
- Stay fetal position until the shaking stops.
- Once the quake is over go to safe zone.
- Do not use regular or cellular telephones except to report serious injuries.
- Be prepared to evacuate. Go to the safe zones.
- Assist in the building evacuation of persons with special needs.
- Tune portable radios to an Emergency Broadcast Station (EBS), and follow instructions given.
- Call the AWC Campus Police Department or authorized personnel will provide instructions for immediate action.
- Do not enter any building for any reason unless authorized to do so by a member of the Emergency Response team.
- The Director of Facilities will determine and announce that a building(s) are safe to re-enter.