All USA/All State Academic Team
"The All-USA Academic Team for Community Colleges competition is sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa, the American Association of Community Colleges and USA TODAY. This program recognizes scholarly achievements and leadership accomplishments of students enrolled in community, technical and junior colleges." (www.ptk.org)
Each year the AWC Honors Council recommends two AWC students to represent the College in the ALL USA competition facilitated and sponsored by Phi Theta Kappa, the International Honor Society for the Two Year College, and USA Today.
The Honors Council will be considering nominee applications with outstanding academic rigor and grade point averages; participation in honors programs; awards, honors and recognition for academic achievement, and service to the college community.
The essay is the key point to the application and should center around one endeavor undertaken by the student that utilized his or her community college education to improve his or her community and/or school.
· Must be enrolled at a community college through December 2010.
· One also must have a cumulative college-level GPA of 3.50 on a 4.0 scale for all course work with in last five years. If student has been in more than one school all transcripts will be recalculated to determine the cumulative GPA for college-level coursework. GPA evaluation at point of application.
· Students must be on goal to earn an associate or bachelor’s degree and have a minimum of 36 semester college-level credits completed at or transferred to a community college by December 31, 2010. Students must also complete 48 semesters, college level credits by August 31, 2011. Also must have a minimum of 30 semester college-level credit hours completed at a community college in past five years.
· Developmental or remedial coursework, such as pre-algebra or basic writing, will be removed when determining number of cumulative for GPA.
· If nominated previously that student cannot participate again.
· Must have a clean community college record showing no probation, suspension or other serious disciplinary action. Nominee must not have a criminal record, and if a convicted felon must have all conditions of sentencing, including probation, completed.
· Students DO NOT need to be a Phi Theta Kappa member to apply for scholarship, but those who are PTK members must also apply for the Guistwhite Scholar Program or come see Nominator for more info on the scholarship.
Judging and Awards
· Independent Judges review the application and select 20 members for the first team of USA TODAY ALL-USA academic team.
· Judges also select 50 gold scholars to receive $1,500 each.
· Judges will also select 50 silver scholars to receive $1,250 each.
· Judges will also select 50 bronze scholars to receive $1,000 each.
· The Gold, Silver, and Bronze go toward Coca-Cola All-State Community College academic team.
· 150 Coca-Cola finalist will be selected and receive $1,000 stipends.
· Finally 52 scholars will be named New Century Scholars and receive $2,000 each.
All applications must be completed and submitted ONLINE Thursday, October, 21st by 4pm as designated by the Arizona Western College Honors Program.
ONLINE application: http://scholarships.ptk.org/aaat/announce.htm
Enrollment key: MDE4MTI59445 (Arizona Western College)